Note, The Department of Justice in 2012, formally expanded the definition of rape to include men as victims. 2
According to RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network), Every 98 seconds, another person experiences sexual assault. 3
What Should You Do If Sexually Assaulted?
(Notes from RAINN)
· Find a safe environment-anywhere away from the attacker. Ask a friend to stay with you for moral support.
· Preserve evidence of the attack, don't bathe or brush your teeth. Write down all the details you can recall about the attack and attacker.
· Get medical attention. Even with no physical injuries, it is important to determine the risk of STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) and/or pregnancy.
· To preserve forensic evidence, ask the hospital to conduct a forensic exam (sometimes known as a “rape kit”- https://www.rainn.org/articles/rape-kit).
· If you suspect that you may have been drugged, ask for the collection of a urine sample. The sample will need to be analyzed later in a forensic lab.
· Report the sexual assault to law enforcement authorities. A counselor can provide information that you will need to understand the process.
· Know or remember that it was not your fault. Recognize that healing from sexual assault takes time.
· Give yourself the time required, and know that it is never too late to call for help, even if the attack happened years ago. Many victims do not realize they need help until months or years later.
National Sexual Assault Hotline-operated by RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)
National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC)
YWCA 24-Hour Sexual Assault Crisis Line (Greater Los Angeles Calif.)
1 The United State Department of Justice
3 RAINN https://www.rainn.org
Non-Profit Cry Heard Support Incorporation
Come join Cry Heard Support Inc., Board members, volunteers, and many others as we lace up our running shoes to participate in the Cry Heard Support Inc., “Walk Towards the Cry 5K Run/Walk”.
The event is scheduled for June 24, 2017, and is an effort to raise funds to increase awareness and prevention of Sexual Assault and Human Trafficking, or "modern-day slavery."
Walk Towards The Cry 5K Run/Walk
El Dorado Park East Regional Park
7550 E. Spring Street
Long Beach, CA 90815